Thursday, August 9, 2007

Getting the Intro out of the way

Now that I have a better idea of what I want this blog to be about, I decided to do an extended intro so that you'll know what it's all about, too.

Hello, my name's Jen, and I am an atheist and an epicurean. This does not make me a hedonist; Epicurus counseled self-restraint and moderation as much as the pursuit of pleasure. Of course these aspects of my personality are only a small part, which jostle for place with the introvertive and autodidactive aspccts. But we were talking about hedonism, and why that title doesn't apply to me.

Drinking to excess is certainly fun if done right, and I fully endorse it as an occasional pastime, but making it a fulltime or constant pursuit will only prove detrimental to other pursuits. Healthwise, and in the financial sense, booze (good booze) is a drain on the wallet. And liver.

No, I enjoy experimenting with cooking, fine art, music, crafts, exercise (I lift weights and strength train, will be starting Russian kettlebell training soon) homebrew (I brew my own beer), clothing, decorating, DIY projects. . . really anything that crosses my mind. I tried shrooms once and occasionally drink absinthe, but I don't smoke pot or do any other kinds of substance. I'd rather drink a beer or some wine or something, because at least I can sue the maker if something goes wrong. This imaginary accountability is my security blanket in an otherwise uncertain and crazy-ass world.

I'm not sure how or if I differ from the average twenty-something searching out interests and experience, except that I know that I do. I was taught from an early age by one parent to hold back, to withdraw, to mistrust new experiences, things, people. 'You might be hurt,' was how I rationalized that fear. I was taught by the other parent to move forward, to try, to engage with open arms, and that parent's outlook was 'You might have fun.'

I have spent a long, long time being afraid of being hurt, of not liking things, or of looking foolish (ironic considering some of my fashion choices!). Now I want to have fun. Lots of fun. And I want to try things and document them. Every thing I try to do will be another victory over the fear and hesitation that was instilled in me from an early age. If you care to come along. . .well. . . the more the merrier!

No comments: